Stalham, Norfolk is a small market town situated alongside the River Ant in the North of the county. It is home to several boatyards making it a popular location for those hiring a boat for a holiday or short break afloat. The sandy coastal beaches of Sea Palling are less than five miles away.
A weekly market takes place every Tuesday and a farmers market every other Saturday. The high street offers a range of shops, restaurants, bars, cafes and take away food outlets.
Stalham, Norfolk History
The Roman road to Caister passed through the local area and over time people began to build their homes close to it. Stalham which when translated means ‘a settlement by the river’ has a modern day population of around three thousand people.
The 1084-1086 Doomsday book mentions the town. Look towards the north end of the High Street and you will see St Mary’s church. Dating back to the 15th century and open daily to visitors. It is also home to an impressive stone carved font.
Just over a mile to the west of Stalham on the banks of the river Ant is Hunsett Mill. Built in 1860, the grade II listed windmill pumped water away from the peat channels. In 1900 the windmill became redundant after electricity was introduced to the area.
Stalham Hall is a grade II listed building located on the edge of the town and built by Robert Puckle between 1625 and 1675. It is not currently open to the general public.
Stalham Staithe is home to the Museum of the Broads which chronicles the history of the Norfolk Broads. Numerous artefacts are on display making a visit interesting and really worthwhile. Close by is the Firehouse Museum which displays the history and memorabilia of local fire fighting.